Sohahong Law Group LLC
Sohahong Law Group LLC

Family-Based Immigration

Legal Representation for Family-Based Immigration

A U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident ("Green Card" holder) can sponsor (petition) a family member to immigrate to the United States.  However, the process varies significantly in time, costs and procedure, depending on the family member you seek to sponsor, among other factors. For immigration sponsorship, only the following people are recognized as “family”:

  • Parents
  • Spouses
  • Children
  • Siblings (Brother/Sister)

Typically, other relatives (e.g., cousin, aunt/uncle, grandparents, in-laws, etc.) are not recognized as family, and cannot be sponsored.

Sponsorship by a U.S. Citizen

“Immediate Relatives” are parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of U.S. citizens.  Immediate Relatives can immigrate to the U.S. immediately, without having to wait for a visa to become available.

All other family members of U.S. citizens are divided into the following categories:

  • First Preference (F1): unmarried children over 21 years old of U.S. citizens
  • Third Preference (F3): married children of U.S. citizens (regardless of age)
  • Fourth Preference (F4): siblings of U.S. citizens.

Unlike “Immediate Relatives”, family members in the Preference categories have a limited number of visas available each year.  Therefore, family members in these categories have to wait until a visa becomes available before immigrating to the United States. The amount of time a relative has to wait depends on which Preference category they are in.


Fiancé(e)s of U.S. Citizens

Though a fiancé(e) is not considered “family” under the immigration laws, a U.S. citizen may apply for a K-1 Visa on behalf of his/her fiancé(e).  This special visa allows the non-U.S. citizen fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. in order to marry the U.S. citizen fiancé(e). The K Visa is a temporary visa, which requires the couple to get married before its expiration.  If the couple does not marry within the allotted time, the foreign fiancé(e) must depart the U.S. or risk violating the terms of his/her visa. Once the couple is married, the U.S. citizen spouse may petition for a Green Card on behalf of his/her spouse.

Sponsorship by a Lawful Permanent Resident

Lawful Permanent Residents in the U.S. can only sponsor their spouse or unmarried children (of any age) to immigrate to the United States.  These individuals are categorized as Second Preference (F2), and must also wait until a visa becomes available before immigrating to the United States.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. Please do not rely on any information provided on this website without first consulting an attorney about your individual situation. An attorney-client relationship is not formed with Sohahong Law Group LLC until the client has signed a retainer agreement and has paid all appropriate fees. Sohahong Law Group LLC does not endorse or assume responsibility for the content of any external website.





Office Hours

The office is open Monday - Friday by appointment only. Please contact us to set up an appointment.


We observe all federal holidays.

Contact Us

Sohahong Law Group LLC


Now located at the SynerG Law Complex!

6075 Barfield Road

Sandy Springs, GA 30328


Phone:  (678)594-3819

Fax:      (678)594-3810




Or use our contact form.



Print Print | Sitemap
© Sohahong Law Group